jessieh

Jessie Reads Everything

Book Nerd. Superhero Enthusiast. Science Geek. Space Junky. Full-Time Whovian. Harry Potter Generation. Fangirl Extraordinaire. This is me and I believe that there should be no empty shelves.

Glamour in Glass
Mary Robinette Kowal
Onyx
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Hunted
Kevin Hearne

Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey  - Mary Robinette Kowal

This book was so much fun! I loved it! It is along the same vein as some of my favorite books like the Mairelon the Magician series and the Kate and Cecilia books by Patricia Wrede.

This book is very much Austenesque but it added what I always thought was missing from Jane Austen's books, magic. Jane is everything a lady should be in this version of Regency England except that she is plain. Her sister, Melody, is annoying and so is her mother. But I love Jane's Father! He is always kind to Jane where her sister and mother are inclined to forget her. It was adorable to see the pains he went through to make sure she felt cared about.

I liked that Jane is very intelligent. But I wish she would have stood up to her sister and mother more often. I liked the inclusion of the magic system. The glamours are interesting and I can't wait to see where Kowal goes with this. I also love that she made this magic more of a "womanly art" and then went and introduced Vincent who is a very proficient male glamourist.

I have no words for the amount of love I had for this book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.